Sunday, October 26, 2014

How I Packed for my Trip to Latin America



My actual trip spanned 10 days but if you count the 2 days for long haul return and another extra day where I spent at Sao Paulo – that’s altogether about two weeks. How do you pack for a two week trip to Latin America where temperatures vary between 30 degrees Celcius (Rio) and 17 degrees (Cusco)?

80% of my clothes and footwear for this trip are from Cotton On Singapore online. In order to travel light, you need layers you can re-use. So I needed lightweight cotton shirts, pullovers, camisoles and maxi skirts. The black maxi skirt I got from Cotton On kept me warm at lower temperatures and kept me cool at warmer temperatures. Compared to pants or denim jeans, maxi skirts are so much lighter and easier to pack (rolling method to save space).

I was working with a pallette of mostly light blues, whites and black. Here is a snapshot of my packing list :)


All items fit into my compact luggage pictured here using the rolling technique. I bought this at Parkson, Gurney Plaza Penang for a promotion price of RM100 (SGD 40). It qualifies as a cabin luggage on my longhaul flight via Singapore Airlines, but for LAN and TAM airlines - I had to check this in due to different airline luggage requirements.


This compact luggage was all I carried with me PLUS a simple backpack for daily food stuff & maps for the entire two-week trip to Latin America. Checking in and out of the airports was a breeze with this.

If you have disposable lingerie and toiletries – you can empty those as your trip progresses but that being said, you still might run out of space if you buy too many souvenirs. Otherwise, if you self-control and buy small trinkets for souvenirs (and not like me buying alpaca sweaters – what was I thinking ???), this luggage is more than enough space for a petite girl travelling Latin America for two weeks. I love this luggage and will certainly continue to use it.