Sunday, October 26, 2014

Why my trip to Rio was only so-so



The mere mention of Rio, conjured images of Mardi Gras from New Orleans (they call it the Carnivale in Rio), hot samba men and women & colorful collage of life. I was deliriously humming Copacabana tunes just thinking about Rio. My actual experience of Rio the time of my visit (end-Sept 2014) was just grey everything. Maybe I felt rushed throughout the entire time I was in Rio. My visit to Christ the Redeemer site. As soon as as I stepped out of the elevator, I saw this – the back of the statue.


Then when I went to the front, I saw this – a tidal wave of tourists (local Brazilians were alot there as well). 


There were so many chances of getting my picture photobombed at any angle that I gave up. It also did not help that how do I put this ... I had a guide that was more interested in fulfilling her personal tour schedule rather than helping me experience the best spots in Rio.

Sorry ... had to vent. To be fair, I am sure not all guides are like this in Rio.Not done yet. Food in Rio ... sucks. I had this really strong beef with black bean rice. If that’s the local dish, I say I need something else.  


The only thing that looks good to me in Rio was the roadside Caipirinha. 


Okay, let’s get to something positive now. The Beaches! NOW I can actually see the local flavors and colors here on Brazil's world renowed beaches. Absolutely no complaints here.

Copacabana and Ipanema were really lovely and lively. Loads of locals there, and I just felt so alive walking on the sandy beaches. I took so many pictures. I just loved the ambience and I’m so very glad I finally got a chance to see the famous Copacabana and Ipanema. Everyone was so friendly there and it was great joy to be in the thick of the action. Thank you for something that is so positive that I can take away with me about Rio.

Here are my postcards from Rio's beautiful beaches =)  XoX