Sunday, October 26, 2014

Iguazu Made my Heart Smiled



The town of Iguazu is just too cute. Check out the hotel I stayed at – Jardin de Iguazu. I was soooo happy here that I didn't quite felt like moving on to my next destination ...haha.



Iguazu Falls. We did both sides of the falls because as usual, kiasu. 

Iguazu Falls - Argentine Side
First, the Argentine side of the falls and here is the ticket to the National Park where the falls are.




We started here during the morning half, and there were already hordes and hordes of people taking pictures at every turn. So you learn to be quick with your camera, click and go!

 
  
Tip: Slather on mozzie repellent just before you get on Iguazu tours. Generously.

After you had every possible picture taken of the falls, you can get on the Great Adventure Ride. This ride is optional and it's about US$ 40. It takes you just metres away from the actual falls and trust me, you will get slogged bigtime by the end of the ride. 


There were several warnings for those deemed not fit to ride. I convinced myself that my heart palpitations were coming from the three cups of coffee I took during breakfast, although I was kind of shitting in my pants when we were queuing up for the ride.




Once you get to the river checkpoint, people started stripping down to their swimmers. I did similar. It's easier to don your swimmers and a rain poncho, and keep your clothes in the dry bags that they will give you.


  

Here's the dry bag to put your camera and dry clothes in - so your items are protected from the water.


At the end of the ride, you get off the speedboat and have to walk some distance to get back to the park. Along the way, human traffic will be congested as people will stop and take some more pictures but the view of the falls upclose will be worth it. Becareful because the stones are wet and slippery so you will need shoes with a good grip as you make your way back.



This picture with the rainbow was taken along my way back and it made my heart smile. This was definitely one of the highlights of my Latin America trip and you have to be there to experience the breathtaking beauty of the falls. 





Iguazu Falls - Brazilian Side
So by 2.00PM I was finished with the Argentine side of the falls. After a change back into dry clothes, I was whisked quickly into a private car we had booked with the same tour operator for the Brazilian side of the falls. My passport was needed because it would mean I would be crossing the border again back to Brazil (duh...)

The ride took about 45minutes, and it was pretty smooth including the border check. Once we reached the Brazil National Park, here was the entrance ticket. Interestingly, the park officials will note the nationality of the visitors so they can keep visitor statistics.


The difference between the Argentine side and the Brazilian side, the latter offered a more panoramic view. Check out the views we took in - enthralling to say the least!