Sunday, October 26, 2014

On Top of the World at Machu Picchu xox

So the day started so early (and cold ... brrr!) at 4.30AM wakeup time ... we had to get to the Ollantaytambo train station a half hour before the train departure time at 6.10AM. The walk from the hotel to the station was expected to take us 25minutes at slow walking pace. I knew this because being the obsessive compulsive that I was - we already made a trial walk the evening before since we did not want to leave to chance that we got lost on our way there ( and the tickets were only valid for that trip itself).

Here is the little road leading to the train station from the hotel.


Finally reached the Ollantaytambo train station.


The train boarding was on-time, no joke. Make sure you got your passport (otherwise, you cannot board the train ). I could not resist taking my picture with Peru Rail, the trains were so colorful! :)


Inside of the train looked like the trains I had boarded in the UK and the Bahn in Europe ....


As usual, there is someone to check your tickets ...


You need to have the train ticket and the entrance ticket into Machu Picchu site - all purchased in advance for me as part of my LAFL tour. That's one of the things I really appreciate about booking with LAFL. The Machu Picchu entrance tickets are NOT sold at the entrance of Machu Picchu site, you need to purchase it at the Ministry of Cultural office.


The crazy train-bus-to-and-back from Aguas Calientes town to Machu Picchu and back. I was abit nervous about missing the train or the bus (none of that happenned by the way). The tour guide was a sweetheart !


Had a warm cuppa tea in the train - journey took about 1.5 hours ....


After getting off the train, we needed to board a bus to take us all the way up to Machu Picchu site, saw this signboard when boarding the bus ...


In the bus, with all other tourists ...


Sights along the way up ... I must say the roads were narrow and abit daunting ...


Finally reached Machu Picchu site entrance ... yay!


As usual, throughout my Latin America trip ... there were hordes of visitors everywhere ...


But once we got in, it felt surreal ... for years and years I had wanted to come here. Now I'm finally here at Machu Picchu and I took it all in. Every sight around me was worth it.



I took in my surroundings with awe ... I felt like I was transported through a time portal (aside from all the visitors around me) ... really, it was such a humbling experience to know that this site was occupied by powerful ancient Incas thousands and thousands of years ago. People that lived way way before us ... 





I marvelled at the steps that was carved out entirely out of stone ...





These water pools were used by the Incas to study the sun's movements ...






So here's my "made-it!" picture, perching at the ledge overlooking the Machu Picchu site ... for me, this trip was SO ENTIRELY worth it. It fulfilled my childhood dream of wanting to see this ancient civilization site ... the Incas fascinated me with the way they build their astounding stone structures and the way they studied time and astrology. Another ancient civilization was the Mayans. I hope one day I can also visit the Mayan site.

Cheesy but YESSSSHH!!!! I MADE IT 2014 - MACHU PICCHU - ON TOP OF THE WORLD.



I met the sweetest, most darling tour guide Silu who took so many great momentos for me to take home and gave me awe-inducing historical lesson I will never forget at Machu Picchu. Thanks Silu! xo


After what was hours at the Machu Picchu site, the rain began to pour (which was just as well becaue I was done anyways) ... and had to make my way back the same way I came. By bus down to the Aguas Calientes town to wait for my train at 4.00PM.


At the Aguas Calientes train station again ...


Gloomy dark train coz it was pouring on the way back ...


Say goodbye to Machu Picchu ...



Romantic .... loves. xo
Byeee ..... Latin America. You were just awesome, and I love this trip so much ....!!!